☆⌒ The Not-so-Simple Simpleton 。



Thursday, August 06, 2009 | 11:59 PM

ASEAN Day 2009 Reception
National University of Singapore, University Cultural Centre

Woon Ching and I met up with Ashsiqqin and Shuhui at the Atrium at 4.30pm. We proceeded to take a long MRT ride to Clementi where we will be meeting the other NYP people who are attending the reception as well. Took a bus down to NUS after that.


There was time for everyone to mingle around. There were representatives from other institutions. Boy, some of them really can socialise. The kind that comes up to you and go,"Hi!" I can't be like them, though I admire them for it.


Speech by Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. George Yeo


Lol. Everyone's tickled by the national flags attached to the desserts. By the end of the dinner, there were hardly any flags left.


Ashsiqqin's patriotic. (:


After a delicious dinner (hmm, traditional dishes and desserts, wine, etc), we proceeded to the theatre to watch the screening of an Indonesian film, The Rainbow Troops, which is one of the five films in the Asean Cinematic Showcase for regional talent.



A major crowd-pleaser, RAINBOW TROOPS is based on the most successful Indonesian novel of all time and the film became a massive hit, and one of the biggest Indonesian blockbusters ever made. But maybe because it doesn’t fit into the arthouse straightjacket, or maybe because film festival programmers consider it too mainstream, it’s barely played outside of Indonesia. Even though the Asian Film Awards nominated it for “Best Film” last year, alongside critically-acclaimed movies like THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD and TOKYO SONATA, it’s a movie that’s too popular and too mainstream to appeal to the snobs who have decided they’re our cultural gatekeepers. Their loss.

Set in the Seventies, on the Sumatran Island of Belitong, a rural, Muslim school is being closed down because it can’t meet the minimum enrollment requirement of ten students. But on the first day of school, miraculously, ten poor kids show up for class and the doors stay open. These little rug rats are a motley crew ranging from the incredibly poor Lintang to the musically gifted, and slightly less poor, Mahar. Their teachers, Bu Muslimah and Pak Harfan (Cut Mini and veteran Indonesian superstar Ikranagara) are relieved at narrowly dodging the axe and the movie follows their students over the next several years as life deals them one unexpected blow after another.

It sounds predictable, but director Riri Riza wisely chose to cast his young ensemble entirely from local Belitong kids with no acting experience, and the result is a series of performances that invest these characters, who could have been cliches, with a gritty, spontaneous authenticity. Scored by the husband and wife team of Aksan and Titi Sjuman and with an ironically bittersweet title pop song by Nidji (that’ll stick in your head for months), this flick becomes something truly stunning as it unfolds. With glossy, big budget production values, it’s amazing that no one in America has picked this movie up yet for distribution. But that’s okay, because you can still see it here. RAINBOW TROOPS is a warm-hearted delight that gives mainstream moviemaking a good name.

Source: http://www.subwaycinema.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122



One of the best films I've watched this year. It leaves you laughing as hard as you're crying. Some parts are quite sombre. Like the part where Lintang's father died and he had to quit school to look after his three sisters. Hmm. Everyone would have thought Lintang would have a bright future or something along that line, given his intellect. Yet it is life's adversities that threw him off that path. It's really up to each of us how we want to deal with the problems life flings at us.


The rest left first while Woon Ching and I waited for her father to fetch us. Had plenty of time to kill and with nothing better to do, we camwhored. Hahaha. :D


Woon Ching's father arrived soon after and he dropped me off at Marymount station. Took a train home from there. Thanks for the ride, Mr Lim! Haha. (:








CONTACT ME

E-MAIL :
ccsm2@hotmail.com

HANDPHONE :
(+65) 9xxxx167

FACEBOOK :
(Click here)

SKYPE :
charmaine.cheong

BLACKBERRY PIN :
239045EF


ABOUT ME

Hello! Nice to meet you! I'm Charmaine. I graduated from NYP with a Diploma in Food Science, but I'd rather eat a smelly sock than go into that field. I'm hoping to become a psychology undergraduate this year. In the meantime, I'm working as a waitress at SoHo7 Cafe & Bistro (I may just be the one serving you!). Do pop by for our freshly roasted coffee and yummy grilled food, and say hi to our cheery (and somewhat gaga) team! :D

TAGBOARD



LINKS
If you wish to have your website linked here, leave a message in the above tagboard. The link will be up in no time!



ARCHIVES
  1. November 2007

  2. December 2007

  3. January 2008

  4. February 2008

  5. April 2008

  6. May 2008

  7. June 2008

  8. July 2008

  9. August 2008

  10. September 2008

  11. October 2008

  12. November 2008

  13. December 2008

  14. January 2009

  15. February 2009

  16. March 2009

  17. April 2009

  18. May 2009

  19. June 2009

  20. July 2009

  21. August 2009

  22. September 2009

  23. October 2009

  24. November 2009

  25. December 2009

  26. January 2010

  27. February 2010

  28. March 2010

  29. April 2010

  30. May 2010

  31. June 2010

  32. July 2010

  33. August 2010

  34. September 2010

  35. October 2010

  36. November 2010

  37. December 2010

  38. January 2011

  39. February 2011

  40. March 2011

  41. April 2011

  42. May 2011



CREDITS

© Design by , forlornattempts / AhJess. credits are not allowed to be removed / editted .



CHARMAINE CHEONG.

I’m a somebody and a nobody. I’m rational and emotional. I’m critical but I’m non-judgemental.

I like my things categorized by types and chronologically. I like taking photos to preserve the moments of my life. I like dystopian literature. I like reading Wikipedia articles at random. I like travelling to foreign lands and seeing the world. I like long conversations over good food. I like pop and classical music. I like guitars. I like cats. I like writing random, mushy letters and notes to the people important to me. I have a whole long list of things that I like, but you’ve got to get to know me better to know them all.