☆⌒ The Not-so-Simple Simpleton 。



Sunday, August 09, 2009 | 11:11 PM

DunkIt@NDP2009 (9 August 2009)


After a couple of meetings, today's the final day. The original schedule got amended a heck lot mainly due to H1N1. The number of event days got reduced, the EYCs were changed a few times, etc. Granted things weren't always organized and smooth-flowing, I think everyone managed to have fun along the way. I don't know what everyone else thinks. But I know I, for one, managed to meet lots of nice, interesting people and enjoyed myself greatly. Thanks for the great experience and fun times, you guys! (:


(From left): Jieying, Xuqin, Me, Ashsiqqin, Nabilah



Today, we are in charge of getting people to sign pledges. We got assigned to work around the Esplanade so we had to walk there from The Arts House.



Saw this fish on the railing. Must have been there for some time. Is it me, or does it look fierce?


The preparatory work begins. Xuqin's decorating the chalkboard that we will be getting people to write their eco-friendly tips on!


This is the My Anti-Littering Pledge board. You get the idea. We gotta get people to sign on the little cards on the board.


At first we were hesitant to approach the public. I'm not keen on approaching fellow Singaporeans. Why? The moment they see you, they avoid looking at you. The moment you approach them, their body langauge clams up. Their eyes seem to say,"Wahlao eh, kena approached already" and their body faces away from you. Well, most are like that. I know there are still nice ones around. It was hard to get foreigners to sign too because of the language barrier.


The first group we approached was this other volunteer group (I guess). I think their cause is great. More often than not, we tend to overlook the fact that foreign workers contributed a lot to our nation and not recognize their achievements. So yea, this group is working to raise awareness on that issue, getting people to realise and all. They signed our boards too. And wrote a super entertaining suggestion at that.


But if you really think about it, being naked does have its eco-friendly benefits. Ok, maybe not stark naked, that's too much. ><


Joking around.


A jump-shot right in the middle of the walkway. Haha. :D


Aww.. This is sweet. (:


So engrossed in writing the message that I didn't realise Nabilah was taking a photo.


HAHAHA!!


Guan Jie's suggestion was one of the things we did to entertain ourselves (an entire afternoon collecting pledges can be boring). His suggestion was to write a new eco-friendly tip and show it to the public, a new one per minute. We were writing like crazy for that short while. Hahaha.


Someone was smoking near us at that time so Ashsiqqin wrote this message. OWNAGE. :D


Getting ready for the NDP performance..


Nabilah and Ashsiqqin's being cheeky!


We met a nice family too! They were sitting on the bench next to ours. The uncle was so nice. He's supportive of our cause, signed our boards, chit-chatted with us and all. He even got his family to sign the pledges. He helped us to take this group photo with his son. (:


Can you see the heart? Haha!


Time flies. It's the end of the day. Posing with our darling boards! :D


On the way back to The Arts House to put down the stuff before heading to the Padang.



Everyone else at the Padang was dressed in red. It was easy to spot us because we were a sea of lime green.


Ashsiqqin and Stella really make a good pair. You should have seen how animated they both were when they 'quarrel'. The rest of us were laughing while watching them. :D


The final debrief by the chairperson, Zhi Kai. There was also the results announcement for the Eco Youth Champions' (EYCs) amazing race, which took place last and this weekend.


We had to write down our learning experience and some suggestions for improvement.



Mmm shiok. (: We were reciting the pledge and singing the National Anthem. Haven't done that for ages. Had to do it everyday in secondary school. But after entering NYP, there was no need for it. Kinda miss it now. Hahaha.


The celebrations continued for a bit longer at the Padang, which included playing some catchy songs like 'Nobody'. Oh my God. As far as the DunkIt people are concerned, I could see some people singing and dancing to 'Nobody'! :D


Mr. Wilson (ECO founder) briefed the committee and the EYMs on how to conduct the littering index, which is a gauge of the littering intensity. Hmm.. The grass was covered with litter everywhere you look. I bet people think it's ok to leave their thrash behind because there will be contracted workers to clear it. What a lousy mentality.


That concludes the end of the event. Everyone went separate ways on the way home. Almost missed my station as I woke up only when the train stopped at the station. Haha. (:







CONTACT ME

E-MAIL :
ccsm2@hotmail.com

HANDPHONE :
(+65) 9xxxx167

FACEBOOK :
(Click here)

SKYPE :
charmaine.cheong

BLACKBERRY PIN :
239045EF


ABOUT ME

Hello! Nice to meet you! I'm Charmaine. I graduated from NYP with a Diploma in Food Science, but I'd rather eat a smelly sock than go into that field. I'm hoping to become a psychology undergraduate this year. In the meantime, I'm working as a waitress at SoHo7 Cafe & Bistro (I may just be the one serving you!). Do pop by for our freshly roasted coffee and yummy grilled food, and say hi to our cheery (and somewhat gaga) team! :D

TAGBOARD



LINKS
If you wish to have your website linked here, leave a message in the above tagboard. The link will be up in no time!



ARCHIVES
  1. November 2007

  2. December 2007

  3. January 2008

  4. February 2008

  5. April 2008

  6. May 2008

  7. June 2008

  8. July 2008

  9. August 2008

  10. September 2008

  11. October 2008

  12. November 2008

  13. December 2008

  14. January 2009

  15. February 2009

  16. March 2009

  17. April 2009

  18. May 2009

  19. June 2009

  20. July 2009

  21. August 2009

  22. September 2009

  23. October 2009

  24. November 2009

  25. December 2009

  26. January 2010

  27. February 2010

  28. March 2010

  29. April 2010

  30. May 2010

  31. June 2010

  32. July 2010

  33. August 2010

  34. September 2010

  35. October 2010

  36. November 2010

  37. December 2010

  38. January 2011

  39. February 2011

  40. March 2011

  41. April 2011

  42. May 2011



CREDITS

© Design by , forlornattempts / AhJess. credits are not allowed to be removed / editted .



CHARMAINE CHEONG.

I’m a somebody and a nobody. I’m rational and emotional. I’m critical but I’m non-judgemental.

I like my things categorized by types and chronologically. I like taking photos to preserve the moments of my life. I like dystopian literature. I like reading Wikipedia articles at random. I like travelling to foreign lands and seeing the world. I like long conversations over good food. I like pop and classical music. I like guitars. I like cats. I like writing random, mushy letters and notes to the people important to me. I have a whole long list of things that I like, but you’ve got to get to know me better to know them all.