☆⌒ The Not-so-Simple Simpleton 。



Friday, August 14, 2009 | 10:27 PM

The last day of the semester. Or the instruction weeks, at least. All that is left are the exams and it will be a long holiday ahead. Anyway, the last day was anything but relaxed. Funny how datelines kept getting pushed back. We had unit operations common test, marketing presentation and a project 2 report to submit. Today. I'm glad the day's over.


I finally got to watch UP. I rushed down to Causeway Point after Project 2 ended to meet Esther. It was her second time watching but she didn't mind 'cos she wanted to confirm the meaning behind some scenes.


Her take on this film was that UP represented an adult's lost childhood. I feel that UP has some of life's deepest emotions and lessons artfully disguised as a children's movie. To those who don't see it, UP will simply be an upbeat, typical cartoon film. To those who see it, UP is realistic and somewhat depressing.


Storyline can be read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_(2009_film)


When I was young, I love helium balloons. I would try to get one whenever I could, by hook or by crook. Yea, I was that crazy over helium balloons. It was only when I got older that I understood why I might have love them so much. Hmm ... There's something comforting about watching helium balloons float. Their motions are so carefree. Even when they're tied down, they seem like they're trying their best to escape. To be unrestrained and free to do whatever they want. They're like a symbol of freedom. I wonder if the usage of helium balloons in UP is related to this reasoning.


Mind you, I still love helium balloons now. Just don't get to have one anymore. Hahaha. (:


There was a short part at the start that depicted Carl and Ellie's relationship, starting from the first time they met. I don't cry while watching movies, not even when other people are. Yet watching Carl and Ellie's past tugged my heartstrings like crazy. I almost cried. Almost. (:


This is one of my favourite scenes. Carl and Ellie's relationship is the kind I wish for. Simple, true love that doesn't change with time. Just having each other's company and enjoying the simple things in life.


In the second part of the film, when Carl reads Ellie's My Adventure Book, he finally flips to the 'Stuff I Want to Do' section which he thought would be a blank, considering Ellie and he never made to Paradise Falls. Allow me to quote Esther 'cos she covered this in her blog.


What really impacted me the scene where Carl Frederick opened the book of adventure written by his wife and disvcovered that there was actually writings behind the section of Things I'm Going To Do. There were pictures of their marriage and everyday life until they were old. Carl then had this expression where he realised something. To me the most touching part was when he realised that his wife's wish wasn't to live by paradise falls but to spend her whole life with him. That was her dream adventure which she realized.


Yup, seriously touching. Ellie's wish changed from wanting to travel to Paradise Falls to simply becoming Carl's wife.


At the bottom, she left a message for Carl as well. She probably knew she was going to die already when she wrote it. In it, she thanked Carl for the great adventure they had and told him to continue embarking on new ones.


There's a deep lesson behind this simple line. The people in our lives are like the chapters of a storybook. When someone enters our life, a new chapter begins. When they leave, the chapter ends. However, the end of a chapter doesn't signal the end of the story, but a new beginning, a brand new adventure. This was what Ellie meant to say. No matter what, she was just one chapter in his life's story. That he should live his life to the fullest, even after she's gone.



"Good afternoon. My name is Russel. And I'm a wilderness explorer in tribe 54. Sweat Lodge 12."


Hahaha! I like Russel. He's so comical throughout the movie. It was something else he said that triggered sadness in me.


"It is the boring things I remember most."


Russel was telling Carl about his father, who was never around due to his busy schedule. When Russel was younger, his father and he would buy ice cream and sit on the roadside kerb, counting the colored cars that pass by.


It is similar to what I've been feeling of late. After I was born, I was placed in the care of a babysitter because my parents have to work. I grew up like that, left to my own devices. Ate by myself. Worked by myself. Played by myself. Not having any siblings contributed to the solitude. I didn't feel the loneliness much, actually. But the few times I did, I told myself to get real. You can cry all you want and your parents won't come to you. They just can't. You have to understand they need to work. It's not like they want to leave me alone either.


I know for a fact my parents still worry about me being lonely till this day, even when I'm 17. Hmm.. I don't hate the way I am now. When you grow up in the company of adults, you mature faster. But I think that's a good thing in its own way, though it leaves you somewhat ostracized from people your age.


Back to my babysitter. On some days, her husband would end work early and he would take us to some beach to play. So simple, so mundane. Yet it is times like this I miss the most now.


UP gave me a lot to think about. I wonder if there're any more lessons that I might have missed out. I hope to see more movies like this in future!


Life is always an adventure! (:







CONTACT ME

E-MAIL :
ccsm2@hotmail.com

HANDPHONE :
(+65) 9xxxx167

FACEBOOK :
(Click here)

SKYPE :
charmaine.cheong

BLACKBERRY PIN :
239045EF


ABOUT ME

Hello! Nice to meet you! I'm Charmaine. I graduated from NYP with a Diploma in Food Science, but I'd rather eat a smelly sock than go into that field. I'm hoping to become a psychology undergraduate this year. In the meantime, I'm working as a waitress at SoHo7 Cafe & Bistro (I may just be the one serving you!). Do pop by for our freshly roasted coffee and yummy grilled food, and say hi to our cheery (and somewhat gaga) team! :D

TAGBOARD



LINKS
If you wish to have your website linked here, leave a message in the above tagboard. The link will be up in no time!



ARCHIVES
  1. November 2007

  2. December 2007

  3. January 2008

  4. February 2008

  5. April 2008

  6. May 2008

  7. June 2008

  8. July 2008

  9. August 2008

  10. September 2008

  11. October 2008

  12. November 2008

  13. December 2008

  14. January 2009

  15. February 2009

  16. March 2009

  17. April 2009

  18. May 2009

  19. June 2009

  20. July 2009

  21. August 2009

  22. September 2009

  23. October 2009

  24. November 2009

  25. December 2009

  26. January 2010

  27. February 2010

  28. March 2010

  29. April 2010

  30. May 2010

  31. June 2010

  32. July 2010

  33. August 2010

  34. September 2010

  35. October 2010

  36. November 2010

  37. December 2010

  38. January 2011

  39. February 2011

  40. March 2011

  41. April 2011

  42. May 2011



CREDITS

© Design by , forlornattempts / AhJess. credits are not allowed to be removed / editted .



CHARMAINE CHEONG.

I’m a somebody and a nobody. I’m rational and emotional. I’m critical but I’m non-judgemental.

I like my things categorized by types and chronologically. I like taking photos to preserve the moments of my life. I like dystopian literature. I like reading Wikipedia articles at random. I like travelling to foreign lands and seeing the world. I like long conversations over good food. I like pop and classical music. I like guitars. I like cats. I like writing random, mushy letters and notes to the people important to me. I have a whole long list of things that I like, but you’ve got to get to know me better to know them all.