☆⌒ The Not-so-Simple Simpleton 。



Thursday, September 10, 2009 | 9:27 PM

Woon Ching asked me out this afternoon - To go prawn-catching at the Bottle Tree Park, that is. Haha. It was rather impromptu. But we both had nothing on for the day and didn't feel like rotting at home. Might as well go create some fun. (:

Longkang fishing equates to kids trampling all over the catchment area (and stressing the fishes out as they await their impending captivity) and overcrowded fish tanks with fishes either gasping for air at the surface or floating belly-up. Most parents now are one heck of an epic failure. They don't impart the right knowledge and morals to the kids anymore.

For crying out, when I was doing longkang fishing years ago, I didn't enter the waters. I only use the fish net provided. And I certainly don't have like twenty or thirty dying fishes in my fish tank.

Here's the prawn catching area. Just sit around and wait for them to bite!
Hence, the catching begins. We both rented a rod each for one hour. For those interested, it's $14.50 per hour and $29 for 2.5 hour.

YAHOO! My first prawn!


Woon Ching dumped a few pieces of the raw chicken organs for the prawns to feast on. Lol!

These two guys caught their prawns at the same time. In fact, they had prawns biting the entire afternoon. Rooooar..

Woon Ching's first catch!


She's emo-ing. Haha. xD


We extended the fishing time for another hour. But the uncle there was so nice. He gave us almost 3 hours of fishing time even though we paid for two. Probably 'cos we are newbs, can't catch much even if we wanted to. Hahaha.

We didn't want to bring the prawns back home. So the uncle suggested we cook it on the spot. Woon Ching's dumping the prawns into the sink to wash them.

The prawns were very much alive and both of us didn't know what to do with them. The same uncle helped us again. I know we are suppose to spear the satay sticks through the prawns. But the uncle impaled them while they were still alive. Wouldn't it have been better to let them die first? In any case, right after seeing that, I made up my mind not to eat the prawns. I have something against unnecessary animal suffering.

The next step was worse. With the prawns probably silently crying out in pain with a satay stick impaled through their flesh, we had to grill them. I don't know which is worse - Being impaled or cooked while you're still conscious enough to feel the pain. Personally speaking, I hate cooking anything that's still alive. I find it inhumane. So yea, screw those people who claim the meat is freshest when the animal is cooked alive. Grow a heart, won't you?

Pardon me. I feel very strongly for animals. (:

I'm so sorry, prawns. ):



As for the two prawns I took home, I gave them to my father. Hahaha! (:

Who else agrees with me that prawns should be tossed back into the waters after it is caught? I go prawn-catching for the thrill of it, not so much of consuming it for dinner. It doesn't matter to me if I go home empty-handed as long as I'm happy.






CONTACT ME

E-MAIL :
ccsm2@hotmail.com

HANDPHONE :
(+65) 9xxxx167

FACEBOOK :
(Click here)

SKYPE :
charmaine.cheong

BLACKBERRY PIN :
239045EF


ABOUT ME

Hello! Nice to meet you! I'm Charmaine. I graduated from NYP with a Diploma in Food Science, but I'd rather eat a smelly sock than go into that field. I'm hoping to become a psychology undergraduate this year. In the meantime, I'm working as a waitress at SoHo7 Cafe & Bistro (I may just be the one serving you!). Do pop by for our freshly roasted coffee and yummy grilled food, and say hi to our cheery (and somewhat gaga) team! :D

TAGBOARD



LINKS
If you wish to have your website linked here, leave a message in the above tagboard. The link will be up in no time!



ARCHIVES
  1. November 2007

  2. December 2007

  3. January 2008

  4. February 2008

  5. April 2008

  6. May 2008

  7. June 2008

  8. July 2008

  9. August 2008

  10. September 2008

  11. October 2008

  12. November 2008

  13. December 2008

  14. January 2009

  15. February 2009

  16. March 2009

  17. April 2009

  18. May 2009

  19. June 2009

  20. July 2009

  21. August 2009

  22. September 2009

  23. October 2009

  24. November 2009

  25. December 2009

  26. January 2010

  27. February 2010

  28. March 2010

  29. April 2010

  30. May 2010

  31. June 2010

  32. July 2010

  33. August 2010

  34. September 2010

  35. October 2010

  36. November 2010

  37. December 2010

  38. January 2011

  39. February 2011

  40. March 2011

  41. April 2011

  42. May 2011



CREDITS

© Design by , forlornattempts / AhJess. credits are not allowed to be removed / editted .



CHARMAINE CHEONG.

I’m a somebody and a nobody. I’m rational and emotional. I’m critical but I’m non-judgemental.

I like my things categorized by types and chronologically. I like taking photos to preserve the moments of my life. I like dystopian literature. I like reading Wikipedia articles at random. I like travelling to foreign lands and seeing the world. I like long conversations over good food. I like pop and classical music. I like guitars. I like cats. I like writing random, mushy letters and notes to the people important to me. I have a whole long list of things that I like, but you’ve got to get to know me better to know them all.