
Usual weekly dinner with Esther. This time, we gave Old Hong Kong Kitchen at Square 2 a shot. Time for a break from Western or Japanese food.
Price wise, it's on the higher end. Most of the dishes cost at least $1x - 2x at the least, and there're even more expensive dishes. But you know what? I discovered that that this restaurant, the quality of the food justifies the price. We ordered a fried rice and a dish of braised duck meat wrapped in crispy beancurd skin. IT'S GOOD. I haven't eaten such fragrant fried rice in ages. You know, foods fried in a wok are supposed to have that characteristic fried fragrant or something? Not every cook can do it but yup, it's present in this fried rice. (:
I like the waitress that served us. Very friendly and kept striking up conversations with us. I still remember her name. I hope she will be there again when we go back. (:
She thought we were sisters. Haha! At one point, she started talking in some dialect which Esther and I didn't understand. I'm Cantonese while Esther is of Hainanese and Hakka background. So I guess it's some other dialect. But we just nodded and smiled and mm-ed at the right places.
After that, I started saying a few Cantonese words and Esther compared it to the same word in Hakka. I never knew both dialects sound similar! I think dialects are interesting. :D
By the way, I didn't take the photo of my tea cup for nothing. I had a large tea stalk floating in my tea! The Japanese believe a floating tea stalk is a sign of good luck. In some parts of England, it signals the imminent arrival of a lover. Who cares? My gut feeling had a good feeling about the tea stalk so I shall stick to that. (: