☆⌒ The Not-so-Simple Simpleton 。



Wednesday, March 10, 2010 | 2:43 AM

Trip to Taiwan with Esther
6 - 11 March 2010
DAY 5

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Here's the best thing for a freezing Wednesday morning. Hot instant noodles! (:

Photobucket

Photobucket


  • Jiu Fen (九份)


  • A town up in the mountains of Rueifang town in Taipei. It is a popular tourist site, with many well-known foods and a beautiful mountain scenery.

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    I thought we would get lost on the way to Jiufen. It sounds like a remote place, all the way up in the mountains. But nah, it was super easy. 99% won't get lost. Upon alighting at Zhong Xiao Fu Xing station, leave via Exit 1 towards Andong Street. Walk straight until you see a bus stop.

    Photobucket Photobucket
    The bus we boarded (*points to picture*) was bus no. 1062. Costs NT$87 for a trip to Jiufen. Make sure to have coins in advance.

    Photobucket

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    It's quite a long ride since we have to go up the mountains. I was afraid we would miss the stop but once again, I realise this place is anti-get lost. Once the bus gets on the long mountain road without stopping, you know the next stop is Jiufen and that's where you alight.

    Photobucket Photobucket

    PhotobucketPhotobucket

    There was a high school at the base of the mountain in Rueifang town. There was an electronic board on top of the school building displayed the time and temperature, and I saw the temperature was 9°C. Now that we're up on the mountains, it must be 8°C or below. The moment we alighted from the bus, my fingers were so cold and numb that it was painful. ):

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Photobucket

    Jiufen begins from this entrance!

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    There are shops selling toys and other odds and ends.

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    For the second time this trip, we're eating smelly tofu! :D This stall's tofu is nicer than the one I'd in Ximending. A lot more smellier and the tofu's top with pickled vegetables! Swee!

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Craft stores selling artworks or souvenirs are everywhere in Jiufen.

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    We got a hot bowl of fishball soup to warm us up. There were meatballs and fuzhou fishballs in it. Mmm-mmm! (:

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Taro balls are a famous dessert in Jiufen. They are super chewy and cooked in a sweet soup with red beans, green beans and sweet potato. I really love this dessert.

    We also bought the Ah Lan Hakka Glutinous Rice Cake. It's another famous food. It's like mochi. It has a chewy skin and has different kinds of fillings. I prefer the red bean paste filling. I personally find vegetable fillings coupled with sweet chewy skin too weird for my taste.

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    The view of this place is breathtakingly beautiful. Some people actually stay overnight in the B&Bs nearby to experience the view.

    PhotobucketPhotobucket

    There are plenty of cafes around. They all offer excellent windows for diners to view the mountains and the ocean.

    Photobucket

    PhotobucketPhotobucket

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Here's a shop that makes Tai Yang Bing (sun bake). I still like Lao Po Bing (wife biscuit). Lol.

    Photobucket

    Took the same bus back to Zhong Xiao Fu Xing station.

    Photobucket

    It's our last night here in Taiwan and we want to finish spending all the money we have. We went back to Ximending, got more food, bought more candies from Sophisca, etc. We also had to get a new lock for Esther's luggage. For some whacked up reason, the officers at the Singapore Airport cut open her lock and inspected her belongings. I wonder which item resembled a dangerous good to them. Tch.

    I thought we could easily find a lock in a shopping mall. But their shopping malls are solely for food and fashion. Even if there is a supermarket there, don't expect to find anything outside food and household goods. In the end, we had to head for a nearby Carrefour that we saw on the first bus ride to our hotel from the airport. Had to get a cab there 'cos we have no idea where it was. It was so near the cab meter didn't even jump. Lawl. And it's walking distance to our hotel too. Hahaha!

    At least we managed to finally get a lock. Phew. (:

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Yea! We got more frozen dumplings (heated them up at the convenience store) to eat!

    Photobucket

    We got this packet of Lay's from Carrefour. My goodness, it has so much chips in it. Those sold in Singapore are half full of air. -_-

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Ooh la la. The convenience store sells pastries like this one too. Green tea eclair! :D

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    AND we bought more cakes from 85 degrees Celcius. They taste as good as they look. Esther was saying we must eat our fill of cakes before we head back to Singapore. Haha!

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Ta-dah! My biggest haul of this trip. Two pairs of funky shoes! The Nike sneakers cost only S$90. You can't even find designs half as nice in Singapore. I had wanted to get a pair of high-cut Nike shoes too. There was a DAMN nice pair, with purple leather and purple leopard prints. It looks so regal. It was so good it was sold out and they don't have my size. *growls* I settled for the my next preference. I personally like the design, the shade of pink and the slight bling on the side. The downside is it is of some unknown brand. I mean, if you have Nike, you'd rather get it, right? Nonetheless, I like both pairs! (:

    Photobucket

    Esther's Timbaland shoes. The lavender leather is very sweet.

    Photobucket

    Like I had mentioned, I bought more goodies from Sophisca! I couldn't resist getting some of their unusual candies. Like the medicine-theme ones. They even have x-rated theme ones but I'm not getting those. ><

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    I kid you not. Edible sanitary pads! Hahaha. And flavored malt sugar syrup in plastic syringes. (:

    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Spent time to pack up because we don't have much time tomorrow morning. Had to use a plastic canvas bag (how typical of a tourist) to store the bulkier stuff. About time my parents get a bigger luggage for traveling. My father first got this one for work purpose only.

    Hmm, I'll miss the good times in hotel room 511. All the yummy food feast and laughing at Spongebob Squarepants and Taiwan's variety shows...






    CONTACT ME

    E-MAIL :
    ccsm2@hotmail.com

    HANDPHONE :
    (+65) 9xxxx167

    FACEBOOK :
    (Click here)

    SKYPE :
    charmaine.cheong

    BLACKBERRY PIN :
    239045EF


    ABOUT ME

    Hello! Nice to meet you! I'm Charmaine. I graduated from NYP with a Diploma in Food Science, but I'd rather eat a smelly sock than go into that field. I'm hoping to become a psychology undergraduate this year. In the meantime, I'm working as a waitress at SoHo7 Cafe & Bistro (I may just be the one serving you!). Do pop by for our freshly roasted coffee and yummy grilled food, and say hi to our cheery (and somewhat gaga) team! :D

    TAGBOARD



    LINKS
    If you wish to have your website linked here, leave a message in the above tagboard. The link will be up in no time!



    ARCHIVES
    1. November 2007

    2. December 2007

    3. January 2008

    4. February 2008

    5. April 2008

    6. May 2008

    7. June 2008

    8. July 2008

    9. August 2008

    10. September 2008

    11. October 2008

    12. November 2008

    13. December 2008

    14. January 2009

    15. February 2009

    16. March 2009

    17. April 2009

    18. May 2009

    19. June 2009

    20. July 2009

    21. August 2009

    22. September 2009

    23. October 2009

    24. November 2009

    25. December 2009

    26. January 2010

    27. February 2010

    28. March 2010

    29. April 2010

    30. May 2010

    31. June 2010

    32. July 2010

    33. August 2010

    34. September 2010

    35. October 2010

    36. November 2010

    37. December 2010

    38. January 2011

    39. February 2011

    40. March 2011

    41. April 2011

    42. May 2011



    CREDITS

    © Design by , forlornattempts / AhJess. credits are not allowed to be removed / editted .



    CHARMAINE CHEONG.

    I’m a somebody and a nobody. I’m rational and emotional. I’m critical but I’m non-judgemental.

    I like my things categorized by types and chronologically. I like taking photos to preserve the moments of my life. I like dystopian literature. I like reading Wikipedia articles at random. I like travelling to foreign lands and seeing the world. I like long conversations over good food. I like pop and classical music. I like guitars. I like cats. I like writing random, mushy letters and notes to the people important to me. I have a whole long list of things that I like, but you’ve got to get to know me better to know them all.