☆⌒ The Not-so-Simple Simpleton 。



Wednesday, October 06, 2010 | 4:45 PM

Einstein's Riddle

A popular logic puzzle also known as Einstein's Riddle or the zebra puzzle. Einstein was said to have created this when he was a boy, claiming that "only 2% of the world's population can solve it."

Einstein's such a tease. Haha. The puzzle isn't that hard to crack. I'm certain anyone can solve it if they keep a cool mind and analyze the facts. I thoroughly enjoyed myself solving this. Thanks for the delicious puzzle, Mr Einstein! (:

1. There are five houses.
2. The Englishman lives in the red house.
3. The Spaniard owns the dog.
4. Coffee is drunk in the green house.
5. The Ukrainian drinks tea.
6. The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.
7. The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
8. Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
9. Milk is drunk in the middle house.
10. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
11. The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
12. Kools are smoked in the house next to the house where the horse is kept.
13. The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
14. The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
15. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

Now, who drinks water? Who owns the zebra? In the interest of clarity, it must be added that each of the five houses is painted a different color, and their inhabitants are of different national extractions, own different pets, drink different beverages and smoke different brands of American cigarets [sic]. One other thing: in statement 6, right means your right.

– Life International, December 17, 1962

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle

There are a few ways to solve this. I stuck to cross-referencing and process of elimination. I drew five houses as a visual aid. I'm a visual thinker. Here's my answer and workings to the puzzle:

Photobucket
I filled in the info under the respective houses as I go along. I'm very methodical. I prefer to solve by category. The first category I solved was the house colours, followed by the nationalities. The two blanks missing in the above illustration are the 'water' and 'zebra'. (:

Photobucket
My lines of reasoning! :D The order in which I used the clues is different from the solution in the Wikipedia page. Kinda interesting to know so many methods can be used to derive the same answer.

Photobucket
Ta-dah! The final answers. I've a habit of drawing a hex after every logic puzzle I complete. My sudoku book is full of them. Don't we all use a hex to mark our final answers when doing maths questions? That's where my habit stems from!

There are variations of the original puzzle too. I gave the children's variation a shot. They edited minor stuff like the nationalities and substituted the cigarette brands with snacks (lol), and the clues are slightly different. And there is only 1 unknown in this puzzle instead of the original 2.

Source: http://www.increasebrainpower.com/einsteins-riddle.html

Photobucket
As you can see, I tried using the 5 x 5 table to solve the puzzle. This other method is effective. But it didn't work for me. Still prefer my colourful houses!

Here's the answer for the children's variation:
Photobucket

I'm curious about the MBTI types of the people who have solved this puzzle, whether they have a Thinking/Feeling and Judgement/Perception in particular, and how it affects their level of rationality. My MBTI type is the same as Einstein and my favourite psychologist, Carl Jung: INTP. With an INTP, it's all about logic, logic, and more logic! (:





CONTACT ME

E-MAIL :
ccsm2@hotmail.com

HANDPHONE :
(+65) 9xxxx167

FACEBOOK :
(Click here)

SKYPE :
charmaine.cheong

BLACKBERRY PIN :
239045EF


ABOUT ME

Hello! Nice to meet you! I'm Charmaine. I graduated from NYP with a Diploma in Food Science, but I'd rather eat a smelly sock than go into that field. I'm hoping to become a psychology undergraduate this year. In the meantime, I'm working as a waitress at SoHo7 Cafe & Bistro (I may just be the one serving you!). Do pop by for our freshly roasted coffee and yummy grilled food, and say hi to our cheery (and somewhat gaga) team! :D

TAGBOARD



LINKS
If you wish to have your website linked here, leave a message in the above tagboard. The link will be up in no time!



ARCHIVES
  1. November 2007

  2. December 2007

  3. January 2008

  4. February 2008

  5. April 2008

  6. May 2008

  7. June 2008

  8. July 2008

  9. August 2008

  10. September 2008

  11. October 2008

  12. November 2008

  13. December 2008

  14. January 2009

  15. February 2009

  16. March 2009

  17. April 2009

  18. May 2009

  19. June 2009

  20. July 2009

  21. August 2009

  22. September 2009

  23. October 2009

  24. November 2009

  25. December 2009

  26. January 2010

  27. February 2010

  28. March 2010

  29. April 2010

  30. May 2010

  31. June 2010

  32. July 2010

  33. August 2010

  34. September 2010

  35. October 2010

  36. November 2010

  37. December 2010

  38. January 2011

  39. February 2011

  40. March 2011

  41. April 2011

  42. May 2011



CREDITS

© Design by , forlornattempts / AhJess. credits are not allowed to be removed / editted .



CHARMAINE CHEONG.

I’m a somebody and a nobody. I’m rational and emotional. I’m critical but I’m non-judgemental.

I like my things categorized by types and chronologically. I like taking photos to preserve the moments of my life. I like dystopian literature. I like reading Wikipedia articles at random. I like travelling to foreign lands and seeing the world. I like long conversations over good food. I like pop and classical music. I like guitars. I like cats. I like writing random, mushy letters and notes to the people important to me. I have a whole long list of things that I like, but you’ve got to get to know me better to know them all.